22 gamery, beardy types descended on TCOW yesterday, vying to walk away the undisputed* champion of Flames of War in the entire known universe. Battles of cunning, guile and just pure dumb luck to be fought and tales to be told of dice rolls that could be and plans that should have worked.
(*may be disputed)
But, in the end, only one could be named the victor and take the crown....and I'll tell you who that is a little later on. First up, a reminder of what the rules of the day were:
700 point, briefing legal, LW forces.
Random doubles which changed with each round (apparently!).
Random (mostly) missions.
Team points score for each player on the team.
(As there was only 22 players, the final pairing would play a mano e mano battle on a 4x4 table)
So, with the scene set, we awaited the pairings and opponents for the first round to be drawn from.....THE HELMET:
ROUND 1 Mission: Counter Attack
- Steve & Wayne vs. Kit & Mike H: 1 - 6
- Damian C & Dad vs. Jonathan & Gav: 2 - 5
- Faizal & Rob vs. Charlie & The Bludgelord: 4 - 3
- Francis & Andrew vs. Surf & Pat: 1 - 6
- El Presidente & Howard vs. Monkey & The Noob: 5 - 2
- Sofia vs. Peter (4x4):2 - 5
|The Coke Table|
|The Grass is Always Green Out WEST|
Mission: Free For All
- Jonathan & Howard vs. Damian C & Mike H: 1 - 6
- Steve & Monkey vs. El Presidente & The Noob: 3 - 4
- Faizal & The Bludgelord vs. Andrew & Pat: 1 - 6
- Rob & Sofia vs. Surf & Dad: 2 - 5
- Wayne & Kit vs. Gav & Peter: 2 - 5
- Francis vs. Charlie: 2 - 5
Faizal loved his time with the Bludgelord so much, he's even changed his Facebook profile picture to the one on the right! Respect!!
Mission: Hasty Attack
- The Bludgelord & Jonathon vs. Francis & Sofia: 4 -3
- Damian C & Pat vs. Peter & Andrew H: 5 - 2
- Mike H & El Presidente vs. Faizal & Gav: 5 - 2
- Howard & Steve vs. Kit & Rob: 1 - 6
- Dad & Wayne vs. Charlie & Surf: 2 - 5
- Monkey vs. The Noob: 1 - 6
Jonathan, post the double snake-eyes, then rolled another 1 followed by a 2.
Mission: No Retreat
- Rob & Surf vs. Wayne & Pat: 4 - 3
- Faizal & Dad vs. Andrew H & The Bludgelord: 3 - 4
- Monkey & The Noob (AGAIN!!!) vs. El Presidente & Gav: 2 - 5
- Steve & Mike H vs. Damian C & Francis: 6 - 1
- Charlie & Howard vs. Sofia & Peter: 2 - 5
- Kit vs. Jonathan: 6 - 1
Now, I dont know about you, but Monkey and I featured in ALL of each other's games. Random selections my left right....
So, with all the games done and dusted, it came time to collate the results, count the points and crown a champion. Drumroll please...
1st: 23 points - Mike Haught
=2nd: 20 points and winner of the fist-fight for real second - Pat Gribble
=2nd: 20 points and runner-up of the fist-fight for real second - Kit Goldsbury
=2nd: 20 points and KO'd in the fist-fight for real second - Mike Haycock (Surf)
3rd: 19 points - Dan Linder (El Presidente)
4th: 16 points - Rob Sadler
5th: 15 points - Charlie Mair
=6th: 14 points - Damian Caulfield, Gavin van Rossum, Peter Welsh/Walsh and Greg Lockton (The Noob)
7th: 13 points - Andrew Haught
=8th: 12 points - Sofia Chambers, Andrew Duncan (Dad) and Damian Reid (The Bludgelord)
=9th: 11 points: Steve Eyles and Jonathan Carryer
10th: 10 points: Faizal Mohammed
11th: 9 points: Howard Mair
=12th: 8 points: Wayne Turner and Paul Monk (Monkey)
and final, the most prestigious of all award at TCOW...the coveted WOODEN SPOON....13th place: 7 points - FRANCIS HAMBROOK!!!!! Well done Frankie! Ladle well!
Obligatory photos of people winning things will follow....
|Grand Champion: Mike Haught|
|True Second: Pat Gribble|
|Other Second: Kit Goldsbury|
Now, for those of you who think that events like these are easy to run, you're probably wrong so muchos respecto to the guys that make these things happen. Tables look pretty bare without terrain and we're pretty lucky at TCOW to have dudes like Dan and Monkey who have a heap of it and let us play on it. Behind the scenes, behind his cool, calm exterior, Dan is furiously working calculations and making sure that everyone is having fun.
At the end of the day, we're all just playing toy soldiers.....
Until next year....and DanCon III: <Insert Cool Rhyming Name Here>
And here are some more photos....keep an eye on Mike's blog over at Scary Biscuits Studios because he takes some great shots.
|Cheer up Charlie....|
|Pershing? Should be bloody Perishing....|